Message from Bishop Wynn
By Bishop Wynn
It has been a remarkable week! We are elbow deep in home centered everything - work, school & church! We experienced the biggest earthquake in Utah since 1992. Missionary service is (temporarily) changing. The airport was closed. All this while we are diligently washing our hands, maintaining social distance and doing our best to stave off a pandemic. It has been a stressful week!
One thing that brings me peace in a hectic world is taking the sacrament every week. I gained this love for the sacrament while I was completing my pediatric residency training. As a resident I would work 24-36 hour shifts with many of those shifts being on weekends. I couldn’t attend sacrament meeting because of my work schedule and therefore missed out on partaking the sacrament weeks at a time. What a blessing it was after having not taken the sacrament for many Sundays to be able to renew my baptismal covenants and partake of the holy emblems of our Savior. The sacrament recharged my spiritual batteries and gave me peace and hope for the week to come.
President Nelson has said the following, “Partake of the sacrament regularly. Partake of the bread, broken in remembrance of the body of the Son of God. Drink the water in remembrance of His precious blood that was shed for us. Witness unto God, the Eternal Father, that you are willing to take upon yourself the name of His Son and always remember Him and keep His commandments which He has given you. If you will do this, you may always have the Siprit to be with you. What a blessing!”
I’m so glad that during these challenging times, we have a Prophet in President Russel M. Nelson who watches out for us. He is our "watchman on the tower." I find it interesting that in his most recent comments to us he said, "During these uncertain times, be comforted in this promise from the Savior, He said 'I the Lord am bound when you do what I say.' I promise you that joy is always in the reach of everyone who will hear Him and obey His laws."
I am grateful to our leaders who have given us permission to receive the sacrament in our home under the jurisdiction and keys of the ward Bishop. I continue to authorize the administration of the sacrament in your homes as long as we are not able to gather in the chapel for our sacrament meeting. Please reach out to our Elder’s Quorum presidents, Relief Society President, or me (801-380-0607) if you need any assistance with receiving the sacrament every week. I really want everyone to have a chance to receive the sacrament every week.
One last thing that I would like to bring up. This social distancing has made it difficult to gather and share inspirational words. I would encourage each one of you to share encouraging words of hope, tender mercies, or other uplifting moments with our fellow 261st members through Facebook (YSA 261st Ward). I think it will help us through these challenging times of the coronavirus. If anyone has other suggestions to help us stay connected during these times, please let me know.
With love and social distance,
Bishop Wynn
Comments
Post a Comment